Monday, July 13, 2009

Thing 16

Having 3 children who range in age from 16 - 22, I was constantly hearing terms that were foreign to me when they all started to "MySpace" and "Facebook" Things like, "I commented you", "I tagged you" and my favorite was "I poked you back!" :) My daughter kept encouraging me to create my own "MySpace" and like so many other adults, I felt it would be nothing more than a waste of my time and totally inappropriate in my profession. Little did I know that she was secretly creating me a "MySpace" as a Christmas gift. :) She was so excited and proud of herself and of course I had to accept this gift like any other she has handmade. Little did I know how fun and social they can be. When several of my colleagues told me to get on "Facebook" I did and have enjoyed it tremendously. Not only have I reconnected with long lost cousins, and gotten the latest scoop on the family tree, I have also been blessed to find friends from elementary school.
As more and more of my co-workers get on "Facebook" I am seeing how easy and practical it would be to use social networking for professional purposes. Many days, we do use our "Facebook" more than actually emailing through our school account.
I think having a PLN would be very helpful and beneficial. Any time, you collaborate ideas and practices, people will benefit.

No comments:

Post a Comment