Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Thing 1-B

Web 2.0 has given the Internet a whole new meaning, purpose and use for everyone. I love the comment by Tim Berners-Lee - "It's not a web of computers, it's a web of people" Where the Internet was once nothing more than a glorified "yellow pages" or encyclopedia it has now become the lifeline for many people. People of all ages are involved with blogging, Myspace, Facebook and many other types of networking that allow active participation and involvement. Where a student once may have struggled with a homework assignment, they can now log on and simply post a comment and have help and support from their friends and even teachers. Knowing this information, I did the one thing I swore I would never do. I created a Facebook account. :) I have been amazed at the number of students who will "message" me who otherwise would have never called or even emailed me for help.
Web 2.0 allows the educator to challenge students to bigger and better things. Years ago, my report on a given topic would have required poster board, die cut letters and encyclopedias. It would have also consumed the entire space on my kitchen table. Students now create PowerPoint presentations and actually have fun doing it.
It's a lot easier to get a student to complete an assignment when they are enjoying the work.
Web 2.0 has given educators the advantage of meeting students right where they are, while still providing a solid education.

3 comments:

  1. You hit on a couple of points that resonated with me:

    "Students now create PowerPoint presentations and actually have fun doing it.
    It's a lot easier to get a student to complete an assignment when they are enjoying the work. "

    This is why I have become such a huge proponent of Web 2.0 tools. These are the types of tools that our students love to become involved with and they ENJOY it! Why not capitalize on something they enjoy and integrate it into what we expect from them in school? Let's engage these kids and I feel as though these tools are the ticket to help us do that.

    "Web 2.0 has given educators the advantage of meeting students right where they are, while still providing a solid education. "

    I may just use this quote one day - giving you full credit of course! As educators, we have for far too long expected our students to meet us instead of making the effort to enter into "their" domain, so to speak. We can still provide them with an excellent education while allowing them to use the types of tools they enjoy so much.

    Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well - before I read Madame O'Bannon's comment, mine was going to be ...

    "It's a lot easier to get a student to complete an assignment when they are enjoying the work." I think that this is a huge key to using web2.0 tools in the classroom with students!

    but she said it better lol

    I will add - about facebook - my students don't use facebook but some of their parents do - and it has been a great way to communicate with them in a less formal way and build a relationship with them! They share pictures and stories of things the kids do at home, so I get to know a different side of my kids ... and the parents get to see other sides of me, as well. I think sometimes people are a little intimidated by teachers for whatever reason, and facebook helps them see the more personal side of me. (I just have to be careful what I post lol)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post. I agree entirely if kids are enjoying what they are doing, learning comes natural. By using the computer the kids are learning reading, writing and some even spelling.

    ReplyDelete